Monday, August 20, 2012

Pictures from a Road Trip

I am posting tired tonight, after a 900 mile road trip with my brother.  Some interesting tales to tell in the days ahead, but for today just a few random images:
I did not know what to make of this one.  The address of this apartment in a small Wisconsin town really did not look as if it had recently been a dentist's office, nor was it likely to be mistaken for such for any other reason I could discern.  I took this picture because it nicely summarizes my opinions on dentists as well, while acknowledging that my own long suffering guy is both pleasant and capable....

In a microscopic hamlet that was made up of several abandoned storefronts and two functioning taverns.  My brother noted a basketball court down by the creek.  There was a flat ball on the court, but several better ones stashed in the weeds.  He felt it necessary to run around a little and shoot some baskets.

Across the street I shot some pictures.

Lots of people photograph ghost signs on old buildings.  Here is one on a long abandoned semi trailer.  The words read "If you want anything in Lion Country just roar.  The logo is of Lion Oil Company, which seems to still be in business as an oil distributor.  But their current logo:

Sure does not resemble this goofy character.  80s art I think...

Now in Wisconsin you see lots of big fiberglass animals used in ads and so forth.  I hardly even notice them as I go about my business.  But this one caught my eye because at first I thought he was sporting an Elvis pompadour hairstyle.  But no, on closer inspection it was just a Cheesehead.  For those of you unfamiliar with this odd local costume the story is here: say cheese!

I thought he was sort of charming, and made the mistake of getting in for a close up shot....
Yikes! Run for it!

More road stories to come...

No comments: