Friday, August 10, 2012

Tree Shaped Tombstones-Christ on the Tree

So far all the examples I have found of a crucified Jesus on a Tree Tombstone are from small town Catholic cemeteries.  But my research is ongoing.






The last two images are from locations 70 miles apart, and have enough differences that it was clearly not a "stock image".  But stylistically they sure look like the work of the same craftsman.

Pending more finds, which will likely disprove my theories, I guess it makes sense that we would be seeing Christ on the Tree in Catholic burial yards.  The Catholic Church has always had a bit more realism in such depictions, I recall being a bit shocked when as a young Lutheran lad I occasionally attended a Catholic church and saw the brutally realistic statuary of Christ on the Cross.

No comments: